Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Orange Shirt Day - September 28/18

The orange shirt day movement started in 2013 to highlight the pain and suffering of thousands of Indigenous children who were sent to residential schools throughout the last century.


Author Phyllis Webstad has felt the impact of that event long after it occurred, “that feeling of worthlessness and insignificance, ingrained in me from my first day at the mission, affected the way I lived my life for many years. Even now, when I know nothing could be further than the truth, I still sometimes feel that I don’t matter.” The shirt has since gone on to become a symbol of a national movement that recognizes the suffering of Indigenous children at residential schools across the country and to show a renewed commitment to ensure that every child matters

Wear an orange shirt on Friday, September 28 to show your support!